Who we are
Countryside Properties is a leading home builder in the UK, creating homes and urban spaces that people want to be a part of.
We believe placemaking is not just about geography. It’s about a feeling and a sense of community. A place to us is as much about the meaning as it is the physical building. We realise that choosing a place to live is not just a financial decision, but an emotional one too.
- We provide a common vision for the future of the community
- We provide the surrounding area with a renewed sense of identity
- We have a 60-year legacy built on the positive experiences our places make possible
- We deliver enduring value for all.
Design and Placemaking Excellence
All our homes and developments carry a signature style and character, designed to work for the modern lifestyle. We only use materials that reflect our commitment to quality, and our exacting standards and sustainable credentials mean we create places that will stand the test of time.
We have received more than 350 awards for design and sustainability excellence since 2000, and hold more Housing Design Awards than any other home builder. We are also the only home builder to have ever received the RIBA Stirling Prize for a housing development – a symbol of our dedication to stunning architecture.
A Better Life
Over the years, we have gained a solid reputation for building houses and residential developments that offer a better life and community for their residents. We also work in close partnership with local authorities to regenerate public sector land, turning it into affordable homes that people want to live in.
We are keen to work collaboratively with landowners, public agencies and major commercial organisations to create places people love, that deliver a premium for our partners.
We hold 60 years of experience in the home building and placemaking world. Take a look at our timeline below to see how we have grown and changed.
- Alan Cherry founded the company in 1958.
- We carried out some small residential developments in Essex and East London.
- In 1972 the company was floated on the London Stock Exchange.
- We continued to expand our residential development operations.
- Strategic land focus commenced.
- We began work on our first new community development at Chelmer Village in Chelmsford.
- We also established our Partnerships team, and our involvement in urban renewal and affordable housing began.
- Works began on several new community projects, including the award winning Great Notley Garden Village, Braintree.
- In 1995 the Five Estates project by the Peckham Partnership, one of the Country's largest regeneration schemes, got underway.
- In 1996 our regional operation in the North West commences.
- In 1998, we were selected by English Partnerships to carry out the Greenwich Millennium Village, in partnership with Taylor Wimpey.
- In 2005, we were acquired by Copthorn Holdings Ltd, a 50:50 joint venture between the Cherry family and the Bank of Scotland (part of Lloyds Banking Group).
- In 2008, Lloyds Banking Group took majority control. We celebrated our 50th anniversary and received the RIBA Stirling Prize for Accordia in Cambridge - the first residential scheme to ever receive the award.
- In 2013, investment funds managed and advised by Oaktree Capital Management make a majority investment into the company. Lloyds Banking Group provides a new five year committed debt facility.
- In October 2013, Ian Sutcliffe is appointed as Executive Chairman.
- In 2014, we acquired Millgate Developments.
- In January 2015, David Howell is appointed Non-Executive Chairman and Ian Sutcliffe becomes Group Chief Executive.
- In August 2015, Rebecca Worthington is appointed Chief Financial Officer.
- In February 2016, following a successful initial public offering, Countryside is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- In 2018, Countryside acquired Westleigh Group Ltd as part of our homebuilding family, which would provide an excellent platform for further partnership growth.