Royal Borough Development Partnership’s plans are approved for 434 homes in Maidenhead
Countryside, the UK’s leading mixed-tenure developer, and the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead are marking another milestone in the regeneration of Maidenhead town centre, as plans are approved to deliver 434 new homes at Saint Cloud Way.
The Royal Borough and Countryside formed the Royal Borough Development Partnership in 2017 to deliver residential-led high-quality regeneration of four town centre sites in Maidenhead - York Road, Saint Cloud Way, West Street and Reform Road. With the York Road regeneration scheme, now known as Watermark, well underway, Saint Cloud Way is the second and largest of these placemaking opportunities and construction is expected to begin by mid-2022.
The Saint Cloud Way development, on the former Magnet Leisure Centre site, will deliver 434 much-needed new homes in a mix of houses, apartments and maisonettes, including 33 affordable rent and 54 shared ownership homes. Every household will benefit from private outdoor space through a private garden, balcony or terrace, in addition to podium gardens for residents and beautifully landscaped areas open to the public. In total, over 8,500 sq m of outdoor amenity space is set to be delivered across the development.
The Partnership will also improve connectivity across the site, through the delivery of the new ‘Missing Links’ cycle route, a new pedestrian crossing and improvements to the existing subway that will provide safe and inclusive access into the town centre.
346 on-site parking spaces will be provided, with 20% of these incorporating active electric vehicle charging points and the remaining 80% incorporating future electric car charging capability. Three on-site car club spaces will also be created, building on the launch of Maidenhead’s first car club this autumn at Watermark. Supporting these sustainable transport measures, 455 secure cycle parking spaces will be delivered.
The development will generate over £1m of Section 106 contributions, which will fund community improvements, enhancements to local play spaces and transport and access improvements for pedestrians and cyclists.
Daniel King, Managing Director, West London & Thames Valley, Countryside, said:
“Providing a varied mix of high-quality new homes and breathing new life into this area of Maidenhead town centre, we are pleased to have received planning approval for our Saint Cloud Way regeneration scheme in partnership with the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead.
“Our plans have been shaped by extensive consultation with the local community and stakeholders, as well as the robust review process by the independent Design Review Panel, and we’re looking forward to delivering on our vision for the benefit of the local community.”
Councillor Andrew Johnson, the council leader, commented: “The council is driving forward the regeneration of Maidenhead town centre, and the committee’s decision to resolve to grant planning permission for this major scheme is an important milestone in that much-needed work and our partnership with Countryside. With leisure facilities now provided at our state-of-the-art Braywick Leisure Centre, this key redevelopment site will help to meet local housing needs for our community.
“One of the council’s priorities is bringing forward affordable homes on our sites. Among the 434 new homes on this site, I’m pleased to say it will deliver 87 of the 122 affordable homes that will come forward in the borough as a result of planning decisions taken this year alone – a 74% increase when compared to affordable housing completions in 2019/20.
“This major investment will also support improvements benefitting the wider area, including a new ground-level pedestrian and cycle crossing over the A4 supporting access to the town centre and a Missing Links sustainable travel route through the site, alongside financial contributions including enhancements to Maidenhead Library. I look forward to construction getting underway.”